Before dealing with mental health problems one should know about it little more so that one can figure out some preventive measures regarding it. We cant find a solution if we don’t know what the problem.
According to World Health Organisation – “Mental health is a state of well being in which an individual realises his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
Mental health problems are health conditions involving changes in emotion, thinking or behaviour or combination of these. They are associated with distress or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.
- Continuous social and economic pressure – Having limited financial resources or belonging to marginalised group can increase the risk of mental health disorders.
- Biological factors – Having a gene with links to a mental health disorder such as depression or schizophrenia may sometimes lead to it. Mental health problems like depression and anxiety may develop due to underlying life changing physical health problems such as cancer, diabetes and chronic pain.
There may be other factors also like lifestyle choices, work pressure etc.
COMMON TYPES –
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders
After studying psychology and reading various articles on internet related to mental health issues I came to conclusion that their are few effective ways by which we can curb mental health problems :-
1) Meditation – We can meditate for alteast twenty minutes a day as it is moderate time length so beginners won’t face much problem doing it. Meditation means talking to yourself and maintaining peace with your own mind. Realising what thoughts are coming to your mind and how your breath is responding to it. How much you are getting bother by that thought. So you will realise that you don’t have any control on your thoughts it’s natural phenomenon they will come to your mind. But what you can do is to acknowledge that moderate your reaction towards it.
2) Introspection – This is very effective and scientific method, what you have to do is to write about your thoughts on paper. And write down your way of dealing with it. Do checkup everyday to see that how much you are following this practice and also write down the changes in you by doing it. By this will realise what are your reals problems and how you should approach it.
3) Exercise – This method is proven one that several hormones comes in action when we exercise. It makes us feel better in productive way. By daily exercising or doing any physical activity keeps our body in check and maintain our hormones so that we can function better.
4) Sharing – There is famous saying that “sharing is caring”. We should not hesitate to share our problems to our loved ones. By sharing your heart and mind becomes light and by sharing to other you open the door for suggestions and help which is very important. There is always somebody who will listen to and understand you and by sharing your experiences and problems you will realise that your not alone in the world facing problems and you can overcome it.
5) Delayed gratification – Don’t fall for instant gratification which means to deal with mental health problems don’t indulge in any short term pleasure like taking drugs or pills etc. Instant gratification is always bad for long run. Always think in long term scenario as life is not a race but marathon. You should know that things that matters to you now won’t be matter in future. You never know similarly problems of today can be triumph stories of yours in future. So think in long term perspective.
The views and opinions expressed by the writer are personal and do not necessarily reflect the official position of VOM.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!